Thursday, June 11, 2009

Using those left-over tortillas

One thing I've found to be extremely different, food-wise, in Mexico are the tortillas. You just can't beat a tortilla fresh off the griddle! When I make them here, the kids usually snag the first half-dozen as they come out and eat them either plain or with a little butter on them. Yummy!

The second day, though, corn tortillas here start to taste like the ones we used to buy in the States: pretty dry and prone to crack when you fold or roll them. If not used by the end of the second day, fresh corn tortillas are only good for pig food. Looking pretty sad!

So, since we don't have a pig, and I don't like to throw away good food, I've found a few ways to use tortillas which aren't as fresh as I'd like.

Now, I know that corn tortillas aren't as popular in the US as they are here. Nowhere near!!! There is no food in the States which compares to the popularity of tortillas here. It's almost like bread and butter in the midwest, but moreso because tortillas are served with every meal here. That leaves the potential for a whole lot of left-over tortillas!!!

One nice thing, though, is that large packages of corn tortillas are pretty cheap in the States and using these left-over ideas, you can make some quick-fix meals to throw in your freezer for a fraction of what you'd pay for the same pre-prepared food.

When you find corn tortillas on sale, or if the ones you bought fresh are seeming a little sad and tired, just throw them into your freezer in a plastic bag to save until you're ready to use them.

Here are some tortilla ideas. Click the link to go to the individual recipe (links will be added poco a poco!):

Quesadillas (pronounced kay-sah-DEE-ahs)

Tostadas

Taquitos (pronounced tah-KEE-toes)

Enchilada Casserole

Creole Casserole

Do you have a favorite use for corn tortillas? I'd love to hear it! I'm always looking for another recipe. Variety is a good thing!

3 comments:

Night Owl Mama said...

stopping by from the SITS wow your in Mexico I luv Mexico and the food

great ideas for reusing taco shells thanks
WOn't you stop by and help me with a VOTE thanks

Melissa aka Equidae said...

thanks for your comment...great ideas for tortillas I love eating them :)

CrossView said...

We don't use tortillas that often. And any leftover are quickly gone! We make sandwiches out of them with Ranch dressing, chicken tenders, cheese and lettuce. I like them warm with butter and salsa. And sometimes I make breakfast of scrambled eggs, cheese, and whatever else is on hand. Ok, this is making me hungry!